Research shows that up to 95% of employees don’t understand company strategy. With Roadmap, that’s not the case. Foster strategic alignment as everyone starts pulling in the same direction, focused on what matters most: delivering the strategy.
With your Ultimate Goal and Strategic Pillars, you’re able to make sense of your strategic choices and communicate your strategy in a way that's understood by your people. Teams can then align OKRs to the strategy, deciding how best they can contribute to it while spotting opportunities for horizontal alignment.
In this article:
The anatomy of your Roadmap
Your roadmap starts with your ultimate goal. Below this, you'll find your Strategic Pillars. Together, they form your company’s strategy.
Your Ultimate Goal explains the purpose of your organization, for which markets and customer segments your organization is fulfilling that purpose, and when you’ll consider your undertaking a success. It explains in one sentence what it's all about.
Strategic Pillars then explain how you’re planning to realize your Ultimate Goal – how your organization differentiates itself.
Below your Pillars, you'll see your OKRs. They are divided into lanes that represent the rhythm you're using to set and achieve OKRs. We recommend an annual and a quarterly cadence, though Roadmap is a customizable space.
- In your annual OKR cadence, we recommend setting company OKRs to reflect the 3 to 5 big themes for your organization for this year.
- Below those, you’ll find your quarterly OKRs. These are the OKRs that all your people and teams are working on every day and every week, to push the organization in the right direction. Here's an example of our Roadmap at Perdoo:
Set up your Roadmap
1. Add your Ultimate Goal and Strategic Pillars. When setting OKRs, it's best to start with your strategy. Read this article to set up your strategy in Perdoo.
2. Align KPIs to measure success on your Pillars. Here's how to either create a new KPI or add an existing KPI to measure success on a pillar:
3. Add company annual OKRs. What are the big themes for your organization this year?
4. Add quarterly group OKRs. The different teams or departments in your organization should ideally align OKRs to the key themes set out in your annual company OKRs.
Take action directly from your Roadmap
We'd recommend an annual and a quarterly cadence. But you can also create custom cadences. Learn more about adding or customizing cadences.
Align or re-align Objectives
You can realign any Objectives in your Roadmap using drag-and-drop. Or to align any unaligned Objectives, just open the Unaligned Objectives tab, and drag the Objective to the correct position in your Roadmap, like this:
Move between timeframes
Use the dropdown list next to the timeframe to switch timeframes.
Switch to a different card size
Quickly evaluate progress by changing the card size to the smaller view. You'll see just the Group avatar and percentage completion of the Objectives. You can then hover over the card to see the Objective name, Objective Lead, and any tags.
Fold and unfold aligned Objectives
- Click on any Objective to reveal or hide its aligned Objectives.
- Click Fold All to collapse your roadmap down to your highest-level Objective.
Zoom in and out
Want to see your complete Roadmap all at once? Click the minus button to view your full OKR alignment on one screen.