As you already know, OKR stands for Objectives and Key Results. The Objective tells you where you want to be by the end of a given timeframe and Key Results give you feedback as to whether or not you're getting there (GPS). In Perdoo there's a third element that we integrate into the process, Initiatives.
To achieve certain results, you need to take action - Key Results won't magically move, they need to be pushed. Initiatives are all those projects you believe will help achieve those desired outcomes. In other words, Initiatives are hypotheses that are validated through Key Result progress.
Updating your Initiatives weekly is perhaps one of the most important tasks of your OKR program. Constantly updating them will help you understand if your Initiatives are pushing progress on your Key Results and if not, take informed decisions to keep things moving forward.
When updating progress on your Initiatives make sure you change the value and the status to make it easy to identify what's on track, what needs attention and what's at risk. This will make it easier to single out what to focus on during OKR check-ins.
If there's no change in the progress value, make sure you still update the status to indicate the confidence you have in completing your Initiative.
In addition, we recommend that every progress update is documented with answers to the following questions:
- What were your accomplishments?
- Do you have any blockers?
- What are your priorities for next week?
- Progress updates should be done prior to an OKR check-in.
- OKR leads should read through weekly updates to determine if they need to schedule a quick one on one with the Initiative owner to get further insight, and/or to prepare questions to dive in deeper during an OKR check-in, when necessary.
To update Initiatives you own from your profile:
- Click on Initiatives and locate the one you wish to update
- Drag the lever to you desired percentage
- Change the status to represent the confidence you have in completing it
- Add highlights, blockers and next steps in the description box
- Click Submit
You can also update Initiatives from the Objective details side panel, which you can access by clicking on the Objective.